Disney’s Animal Kingdom is Walt Disney World’s newest and biggest theme park. Yes, I did say this is the biggest of the parks. It’s true in terms of acres. The safari itself is the size of The Magic Kingdom. There is a lot of walking to be done here, so wear comfortable shoes.
The Animal Kingdom is full of Animals (imagine that). There are also some good shows and a couple of really good rides. Let’s go …
The Oasis is the entrance area to the park. All of the other Disney World parks have shops right inside the gate. Not here. The Oasis is a buffer between the outside world and the animals on the inside. It’s a great way to begin.
Pandora: The World of Avatar is amazing. This new land is home to some of the newest technology and amazing effects Disney has ever invented. Come and see the world James Cameron created.
- Flight of Passage – hop on the back of a banshee and soar through Pandora
- Na’vi’ River Journey – take a boat ride through the bioluminscent forest
Take a trip back in time to the period when dinosaurs roamed the earth.
- DINOSAUR – take a trip back in time to retrieve an authentic dinosaur.
- Finding Nemo – The Musical – See a Magical presentation taken from the original stage show.
- The Boneyard – A play area for the small ones built around dinosaur fossils.
- Fossil Fun Games – Carnival games fun for all ages.
- Primeval Whirl – A spinning roller coaster.
- TriceraTop Spin – An outdoor flying adventure. It spins real fast.
Discovery Island is the center of Disney’s Animal Kingdom. The Tree of Life dominates the whole island. This is the central hub of the park. Food, and shopping are everywhere, what’s that I smell?
It’s Tough to be a Bug! is the main attraction. You get to be an honorary bug for a day. Whoopee!
- It’s Tough to be a Bug! – A 3-D show (yes, you have to put on your “bug” glasses) about life as a bug.
- Discovery Island Trails – Around the Tree of Life you will find several exhibits of different animals.
Take a trip to the village of Harambe. This is Disney’s reproduction of an African village.
- Kilimanjaro Safaris – This is the main attraction in Disney Animal Kingdom. Explore Africa, complete with live animals, on a Safari ride through the savanna.
- Pangani Forest Exploration Trail – A walking tour where you’ll see birds, fish, gorillas and hippos.
- Festival of the Lion King – Sing and dance with Simba and the gang.
Rafiki’s Planet Watch is the “green” section of Disney’s Animal Kingdom. You can actually see animals being cared for and there is a petting area for the kids.
- Animation Experience – Learn how to draw characters from the Lion King.
- Conservation Station – See how animals are trained, fed and cared for.
- Affection Section – A petting area for children.
- Wildlife Express Train – The only way to get to Rafiki’s Planet Watch.
Come to the Kingdom of Anandapur (place of delight) home of the Maharajah’s Palace. The Palace is crumbling and inhabited by tigers and other creatures. The ruins are typically Disney and are very detailed and realistic.
- UP! A Great Bird Adventure – Watch as the most majestic creatures perform wondrous feats.
- Maharajah Jungle Trek – See tigers and bats and other animals in this walk through adventure.
- Kali River Rapids – Take a trip down the raging rainforest river. Caution, you will get wet.
- Expedition Everest – This roller coaster is a thrilling trip into the land of the Yeti.
Animal Kingdom at Night
In 2016, Animal Kingdom began to stay open after sunset for the first time ever! Experiences and attractions like Expedition Everest and Kali River Rapids were open at night, and special rides on Kilimanjaro Safaris with magical lighting that mimics sunset on the savannah.
- Tree of Life Watch as the park’s icon comes alive each night with special projections and lighting.
- Wildlife Parti Harambe village is your destination for a spirited party street party with dance and music.
- Discovery Island Carnivale Celebrate the natural world in this lively free form event.
- The Jungle Book: Alive with Magic For a limited time, enjoy a stage performance inspired by The Jungle Book – complete with music and special effects.
- Rivers of Light The highly anticipated night time spectacular was set to open this spring but has been delayed. It’s going to have lights, floats, musics, and more. Dad hopes it opens soon.
Over the last couple of years, Disney has been adding dining options to the parks menus. Check out some of the offerings.
- Tusker House – “Awaken the Day” at Donald’s Safari Breakfast buffet. You can also get a unique lunch and dinner buffet here.
- Flame Tree BBQ – quick barbeque in a colorful setting.
- Yak and Yeti – Chinese food in the shadow of Expedition Everest.
- Rainforest Cafe – Dine in a tropical rain forest.
- Pizzafari – track down some pizzas
- Harambe Market – Little booths selling curried corn dogs, BBQ ribs, chicken skewers and little salads are available here.
- Tiffins – A new signature dining location will feature an exotic menu
- Restaurantosaurus – Burgers, salads, and more with a great toppings bar
- Satu’li Canteen – Experience the exotic tastes of Pandora in the RDA mess hall
Dad’s Top 5 Attractions in Animal Kingdom
Want to know what top’s Dad’s list for fun at Animal Kingdom? Check out the video below:
See for yourself
Come and see all the animals for yourself. They are calling your name right now. Just go over to Dad’s Destinations to Travel page and let my partners get you started on a Perfect Vacation. Get started today!
Dad’s Bottom Line
Disney’s Animal Kingdom is growing into a great theme park or the best zoo on the planet, I’m still not sure which. What ever it is it’s a great place to spend a day. The Safari is absolutely not to be missed.
Where else can take a trip around the World, see exotic animals, and see the culture of parts of the globe that are far away, all without leaving Florida? What a concept.